Apify: Vendor Pricing Conversation Initiated (covers through Sep 21 scheduled call - call was rescheduled again, Ben attended today Sep 24) Call Outcome Summary (Ben’s TLDR) Apify rep Ch..."/>Apify: Vendor Pricing Conversation Initiated (covers through Sep 21 scheduled call - call was rescheduled again, Ben attended today Sep 24) Call Outcome Summary (Ben’s TLDR) Apify rep Ch..."/>Apify: Vendor Pricing Conversation Initiated (covers through Sep 21 scheduled call - call was rescheduled again, Ben attended today Sep 24) Call Outcome Summary (Ben’s TLDR) Apify rep Ch..."/>Apify: Vendor Pricing Conversation Initiated (covers through Sep 21 scheduled call - call was rescheduled again, Ben attended today Sep 24) Call Outcome Summary (Ben’s TLDR) Apify rep Ch..."/>

Channel: ops Permalink: https://ryevalley.slack.com/archives/C0A6XKM1ERG/p1790267728338979 Date: 2026-09-24 Prior file: Apify: Vendor Pricing Conversation Initiated (covers through Sep 21 scheduled call - call was rescheduled again, Ben attended today Sep 24)

Call Outcome Summary (Ben’s TLDR)

Apify rep Christos Stamopoulos led the call. Key points:

  • Our current Apify spend has reached the point where Scale plan is no longer economical. Apify sees us at roughly $1,000/month on Scale and says we pay about $200/month more for equivalent credits than we would on Enterprise.
  • Proposed upgrade: Enterprise at $1,000/month. Only next available tier.
  • Enterprise would reduce pricing 15-20% across most actors used; most of our spend is pay-per-event actor usage, not compute.
  • Commitment required: 12-month, totaling $12,000. Payment cadence is flexible (monthly/quarterly/annually); the annual commitment is not.
  • Ben asked if quarterly or annual payment could earn an extra discount. Christos said he’d take it to their AE team; cautioned that a large additional discount may be difficult at the $1k tier.
  • Other Enterprise benefits: dedicated account management, invoice/PO/bank-transfer payment options, enterprise-only Reddit scraper.

Commitment Status

Ben made NO commitment. He told Christos that Michael is the decision-maker and the earliest Michael would respond is Tuesday Sep 29 (Michael traveling).

Financial Detail

See Owner tier for specific numbers. Summary: roughly $200/month savings vs current Scale spend at equivalent credit volume; $12k annual commitment.

Next Step

Michael to decide by ~Sep 29. The savings case is narrow if our spend stays at $800-$1k/month; the 12-month lock is the main risk. A larger discount (annual prepay) could improve the math.

Update: 2026-10-12 - Michael passed on Enterprise

Source: Email “Meeting with Apify”, Christos Stamopoulos (Apify) to Michael and Ben, Oct 12; Michael’s reply same day.

Christos re-pitched a subscription option better suited to our usage and sent a calendar invite. Michael replied: “We’re going to pass for now.” No upgrade, no 12-month commitment; we stay on the current plan. See Apify: Pass on Enterprise Upgrade for Now.